The SESG was established in 1980 as the Victorian Prison Dog Squad. In 1991 the Dog Squad, Prisons Drug Surveillance Unit and Emergency Management Planning Unit combined to form the Emergency Management Unit (EMU). In 1995, this was further updated to better represent the broad range of increased functions undertaken by the Security and Emergency Services Group.
The SESG operates from offices located at:
- Barwon Prison (Lara)
- Metropolitan Remand Centre (Ravenhall)
- Loddon Prison (Castlemaine)
- Hopkins Correctional Centre (Ararat).
The SESG provides both immediate and longer-term support through its diverse supplementary portfolios such as:
- K9 Services (assists prisons and business units with barrier control and searching operations)
- high security escorts of prisoners
- emergency management
- fire awareness training and support
- Emergency Response and Statewide Training Group
- Urinalysis Coordination (assists the Victorian Prison Drug Strategy in reducing drug use and behaviour through the drug testing of prisoners)
- CVTrack (assists business units across the Department of Justice and Community Safety in fleet, staff safety and asset management, using GPS monitoring technology)
- CV security reviews.
c/- Metropolitan Remand Centre
Ravenhall Victoria 3023
Telephone: 03 9217 7928
Fax: 03 9217 7922