All items for a prisoner are to be clearly marked with the prisoner’s name and will be processed and distributed by stores officers after being examined for unauthorised contents.
All items can be brought in on a visit, or forwarded by post, with the exception of magazines, cards or correspondence which are to be received via mail only.
When sending in Christmas cards, birthday cards or cards of any type, the card must be plain. Musical cards or cards with anything attached to or stuck on the card are restricted to prisoners and therefore placed in the prisoner's property.
Only newspapers will be distributed on the day of a visit. These should be left at the reception office in the visit centre.
Items not requiring Governor's request approval:
The following items (New clothes only) will be accepted:
- 6 x underwear (jocks, boxers, singlets)
- 6 x socks
- 6 x handkerchiefs
- 1 x bathers (board shorts only)
- 1 x dressing gown (plain coloured, no motifs)
- 1 x pyjamas (plain coloured, no motifs)
- singlets, shorts (bottle green, no motifs)
- t-shirts (bottle green only, round neck with no motifs, pockets, buttons, logos or designs)
- 1 x plain towel
- 6 x photos (standard size approx. 150mm x 100mm)
- 6 x magazines (No CD's, DVD's, computer disks or USB devices to be attached) Magazines to be received via mail only and will not be accepted via visits. No R-rated publications and only unrestricted magazines.
- 6 x regional newspapers (No Pyrenees Advocate, Ballarat Courier or Ararat papers)
- books - limit of one at a time (via visits or mail and only unrestricted books)
No items, other than those listed above, will be accepted without prior approval by the Operations Manager/Supervisor and listed in the Governor's Request Register.
Refer to Property and money for details about how much money can be deposited for a prisoner and in what format.
Money may be left at the Langi Kal Kal Prison during visit times at the visitors’ reception centre. A limit of $140.00 is permitted via visits or mail.
All money orders should have the sender's name, address and visitor number i.e. VRN on the back of the money order, otherwise it will be returned to the sender.
Additional phone money must be approved via Governor's Request prior to the visit.