People can drop off property for prisoners at Barwon Prison.
People dropping off property should put the approved property items in a plastic bag, label it with their name and the prisoner's name, and the number of items, before placing it in the secure property box at the Gatehouse foyer.
All prisoners’ property brought into the prison will be searched and delivered to the property store on weekdays only. Any property brought in over the weekend will be delivered to the property store as soon as is practicable. All property items must be clean – soiled or dirty items will not be accepted.
Where a prisoner has reached the permitted amount of property, additional items will not be accepted. Barwon is currently only accepting 5 items in total, including books/magazines or underwear (inclusive of socks, singlets and thermal underwear).
The following items are accepted:
- 4 thermal long johns and long sleeve thermals or long sleeve t-shirts (for prisoners in mainstream and protection these must be white, for prisoners in Acacia and Melaleuca they must be red)
- 4 underwear items (these must not include any pictorial or media representations e.g. cartoons or commercial brands. Please note, underwear must be new.)
- 4 pairs of socks
- 4 white singlets (singlets must not include any logos. For prisoners in Acacia and Melaleuca, singlets must be red.)
- clothing for court or release (this must be approved by the unit supervisor)
- 2 books (in Acacia and Melaleuca, hard-cover books are not permitted without approval from an Operations Manager)
- 2 newspapers
- 2 magazines (Barwon Prison will not accept magazines which contain any erotic pictorial or media representation of male or female genitalia or women’s breasts, military articles, drugs, hydroponics or home brewing, weapons, bombs, tattoo publications or publications which support terrorism) Prohibited magazines include but are not limited to:
- any Category 1 or Category 2 restricted publications including Picture and People
- computer magazines with graphics (e.g. gaming violence)
- war or military magazines or publications
- Cosmopolitan or Cleo
- Live to Ride
- magazines or publications that contain violent material
- magazines or publications with restricted content which is coloured in or covered with stickers
- 6 photographs up to A4 size only (computer-generated photo sheets, regardless of how many photos are depicted on them, are accepted as one photo. Polaroids and laminates are not accepted)
- 1 calendar (there must be no explicit content, metal spiral binding, metal backing or laminated photos included as part of, or attached to the calendar)
- legal documents (must fit in a box measuring 35cm x 25cm x 15cm, unless prior approval has been given by an operations manager)
- legal CDs or DVDs (these must be approved by an operations manager)
- letters and cards (no musical letters or correspondence with attachments such as stickers and glitter)
All other property should be considered unauthorised unless prior approval has been given by an operations manager.
No shorts or runners of any kind are permitted.
Refer to the Sending Money section of the contacting and visiting prisoners page for details about how much money can be provided to a prisoner and in what format.
Visitors are permitted to drop off money orders or bank cheques in the mail box located in the Gatehouse foyer. No cash will be accepted.