Phone: 03 9947 1601
Fax: 03 9947 1626
GPO Box 123
Melbourne VIC 3001
Justice Health is a business unit of the Department of Justice and Community Safety and is responsible for the delivery of health services for persons in Victoria's prisons.
The key responsibilities are to:
- set the policy and standards for health care in prisons
- contract manage the health service providers in the public prisons
- monitor and review health service provider performance
- facilitate an integrated approach to planning and service delivery
- lead health prevention and promotion activities
- facilitate the release of health information to community health care providers, legal representatives and individuals.
In Victoria, health services are contracted out to health services providers:
- GEO Healthcare provides primary health services at all men’s public prisons and the Judy Lazarus Transition Centre (JLTC).
- Western Health provides primary health services at the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre (DPFC).
- Dhelkaya Health provides primary health services at Tarrengower Prison.
- Management and operation of Ravenhall Correctional Centre (RCC) is contracted to the GEO Group. GEO sub-contract to Correct Care Australasia (CCA) for primary health services and to Forensicare for Forensic Mental Health (FMH) services.
- Management and operation of Port Phillip Prison (PPP) is contracted to G4S Custodial Services. G4S Custodial Services sub-contract to St Vincent’s Correctional Health Services for primary health services and to Forensicare for Forensic Mental Health services within the St Paul’s Psycho-Social Unit.
- GEO Group Australia provides primary health services at Fulham Correctional Centre (FCC).
- Forensicare (Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health) provides secondary mental health services at all public prisons; provision of primary mental health services at the Melbourne Assessment Prison (MAP) including the management and provision of services within the Acute Assessment Unit; the provision of reception and ‘at risk’ assessments at the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre (DPFC) and management of provision of services within the Marrmak Unit.