You are here:
Marngoneet Correctional Centre
Note: the email address below is the Corrections Victoria general email; the prison does not have its own general email address.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 03 5282 0600
- Fax 03 5282 0900
PO Box 273
Corio VIC 3214
1170 Bacchus Marsh Road
Lara VIC 3212
The information below is specific to Marngoneet Correctional Centre.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page for information about Karreenga.
Please also refer to the general information about visiting a prisoner which is the same for all prisons in Victoria. This includes details of how to arrange to visit a prisoner for the first time, what identification you will need to take with you and what you cannot take into prisons.
Marngoneet Correctional Centre is approximately 60km from Melbourne. Take the Princes Freeway to Geelong, turn left at the Avalon Airport exit, then turn right over the bridge and follow the signs to Barwon Prison. Marngoneet is located next to Barwon Prison.
A courtesy bus is available to transfers visitors from Lara train station to Marngoneet Correctional Centre and back again on Saturdays and Sundays at the following times:
|Bus meets the train at Lara station||Bus departs Marngoneet to Lara station|
|Saturday||9.55am, 10.55am, 11.55am 12.55pm||12.15pm,1.45pm, 2.45pm, 3.45pm|
|Sunday||10.55am, 11.55pm, 12.55pm||2.45pm, 3.45pm|
Geelong Taxi Network: 131 008
To visit a prisoner, you must be on their approved list (refer to Arranging a visit in the general information for prison visitors). Once you are on the list, you can visit at any of the times below. Visits must be booked by the prisoner.
It is recommended that you phone the prison before you visit.
Flinders Peak, Station Peak & Spring Hill side will operate as follows:
|SATURDAY & SUNDAY||Session 1||Session 2||Session3||Session 4||Session 5|
|8.30am - 10.30am Adults Only||10.30am - 12.30pm Adults & Children||12.30pm - 2.30pm Adults & Children||2.30pm - 4.30pm Adults & Children||4.30pm - 6.30pm Adults & Children|
Rothwell side will operate as follows:
|Session 1||Session 2||Session 3||Session 4||Session 5|
|Saturday||8.15am - 10.15am Adults & Children||10.15pm - 12.15pm Adults & Children||12.15pm - 2.15pm Adults & Children||2.15pm - 4.15pm Approved Child Visits||4.15pm - 6.15pm Adults Only|
|Sunday||8.15am - 10.15am Adults Only||10.15pm - 12.15pm Adults Only||12.15pm - 2.15pm Adults & Children||2.15pm - 4.15pm Adults & Children||4.15pm - 6.15pm Adults & Children|
An approved visitor may leave authorised property and monies at Visitor Reception for prisoners.
If a prisoner has already reached their property allowance, no additional items will be accepted.
The following guidelines are provided:
- 4 sets of underwear (can be jocks, boxer shorts, or combination of both)
- Long johns/thermal (white only)
- Long sleeve thermal (white only)
- 4 pairs of socks
- 4 singlets (white only)
- 4 t-shirts/long sleeve (white/cotton only - no v-neck, no collar, no buttons, no pocket, no logo of any description)
- 6 handkerchiefs
- 2 pairs of pyjamas
- 1 pair of black shorts (not cargo or running shorts, no logos and above knee length)
Clothing for court or release (has to be approved by Neighbourhood Manager) these will be placed into the prisoner’s property, not issued.
Please note: Clothing will not be accepted unless it is clean.
- Maximum of 2 newspapers.
- Maximum of 2 reading books
- 6 photographs (no Polaroids.Up to A4 size only (computer generated photos, regardless of how many photos on it, are accepted as one photo)
- legal papers
Maximum of 2 magazines
The following magazines will not be accepted:
- Restricted Magazines
- Excessive violence
- Hydroponics/Home Brewing
- Picture and People magazines
- Tattoo magazines
Please note:The disk will be removed from any magazine that has this as an inclusion.
ITEMS THAT ARE NOT ACCEPTED
- Cash and personnel cheques (only money orders or bank cheques will be receipted via the mail).
- Letter/Envelope/Card with the following:
- Lottery/racing tickets etc
- Any type of tapes e.g. Sticky, Masking, Electrical etc
- Graffiti/Tags/Personal Logs
- Gang related logos or slogans
- More than six photos / Polaroid photo/Small photos (Passport size)
- Laminated item/ Blank Cards / Musical Cards / Oversized card or paper (Up to A4 allowed).
- Blank envelopes / Blank paper / Home-made paper / Blank Postcards/ Pre stamped and addressed envelopes
- Naked Photos / Magazine with naked images / inappropriate pictures, photos or drawings
- Prohibited Magazine (tattoo, military, drug or magazines with naked images)
- Correction fluid/Tape or Blue tack
559 (31 December 2017)
- 40-bed main unit with cell-style accommodation and meals supplied
- two six-cell flat-style accommodation with shared facilities and self-catering
- six six-room flat-style accommodation with shared facilities and self-catering
Officially opened on 3 March 2006, the centre is located near Lara approximately 70km west of Melbourne.
The name 'Marngoneet' is taken from the local Wathaurong community language and means 'to make new'. The development of the facility was supported by the local Wathaurong Aboriginal Cooperative.
Karreenga is a medium security facility accommodating a maximum of 300 protection prisoners, and is located adjacent to Marngoneet Correctional Centre.
The word Karreenga pays respect to the local Wadawurrung Community and is a Koori word meaning to grow.
Prisoners at Karreenga will undertake work/education during the week, in addition to Offence Specific Programs.
They will live in self catered, cottage style accommodation and will be responsible for budgeting and cooking their own meals.
Karreenga was officially opened on Friday, 16 September 2016.
300 (31 December 2017)
Phone: 03 5285 0000
Fax: 03 5285 0106
Street address: 1200 Bacchus Marsh Road, Lara Vic 3212
Postal address: PO Box 1044
Corio Vic 3214
|General contact with children||Saturday & Sunday||8.30am to 5.30pm||Maximum time 2 hours|
|Restricted access contact visits with no children||
10.30am to 5.00pm
8.15am to 5.00pm
Maximum time 2 hours
Maximum time 2 hours
|Restricted access approved child only||Saturday||8.15am to 10.15am||Maximum time 2 hours|
|Non contact box visits||Saturday & Sunday||9.00am to 5.00pm||Maximum time 1 hours|